In light of the public health emergency when everyone is trying to stay extra cautious and keep a germ-free practice it's important to know how to keep your TMS Therapy System clean/disinfect for the clinician and patient.*
Cleaning the device and the coil
- Disconnect the device from the mains before cleaning (pull out the mains plug).
- The device and the stimulation coils may be wiped off using a damp cloth (water). Before using again, the device and the stimulation coils must be completely dry.
- Diluted liquid household cleaner (no abrasives) or diluted alcohol can be used as a cleaning agent. In the process, it must be ensured that no moisture penetrates into the device (only moisten the cloth insofar as necessary). Cleaning agent must not be allowed to penetrate into the device! Should liquid penetrate into the device, it may only be operated after maintenance has been performed by the manufacturer.
- The stimulation coils cannot be sterilized. If you use the coils in a sterile room or want to avoid direct contact with the coil, you can cover it in a sterile sleeve (e.g. a sterile plastic bag).
Disinfecting the device
- It is advantageous to disinfect the coil(s), the device and its accessories using a soft cloth moistened with ethyl alcohol, propyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.
- A 1% solution of the disinfectant "Gigasept Instru AF" or equivalent should be used to disinfect the device. Solutions with a detergent, or with alcohol (ethanol, isopropanol, propanol) diluted to minimally 70% are also advised for all surface areas EXCEPT the display of the monitor (for the display please only use "Gigasept Instru AF" or equivalent disinfectants). Do not use oxidizing agents or aldehydes or abrasive agents.
BrainsWay Deep TMS
BrainsWay recommends several interventions that may help TMS providers decrease the risk of COVID-19 transmission in their facilities:
- Social distancing — keep at least six feet distance between individuals in waiting rooms and treatment areas
- Communicate with your patients prior to starting a Deep TMS session regarding the latest guidance on prevention of coronavirus
- Ensure operators and patients thoroughly wash their hands with soap before and after entering the premises
- Strictly adhere to the cleaning and disinfection of equipment
- BrainsWay recommends that the helmet, positioning arm, cart, and stimulator should be cleaned using disinfectant wipes (for example, Protex, Antigone or Opti-cide disinfecting wipes) or with 70% isopropyl alcohol
- For the touchscreen, use a non-abrasive cloth together with 70% isopropyl alcohol or Clorox disinfecting wipes
- Increase intervals between appointments to allow adequate time for cleaning equipment between each session
- Between sessions, be sure to wipe all surfaces that come into direct contact with patients or operators, such as inner and outer surfaces of the helmet, the helmet straps, the inner surface of the patient cap, cart handle, the on/off button, and the patient chair
- Patient caps should never be switched from one subject to another
MagVenture TMS Therapy
Cleaning and disinfecting procedures
The maintenance that can be performed by the operator is limited to cleaning and disinfecting the device. When cleaning the equipment, please notice the surfaces the first time to ensure that they can withstand the cleaners.
NOTE Any maintenance inside the device must be performed by qualified service personnel only.
- Before cleaning the device units, switch off the mains. Use a cloth gently wrung in a recommended disinfectant as listed below.
- Dilute the disinfectant properly, as stated by the manufacturer.
- The enclosure material can withstand a temperature of 120°F for cleaning and disinfection.
The Pillow Case is washable at 140°F.
For routine cleaning use of the MagPro, Coils, Coil Cooler, Trolley and Super Flex Arm
- Phenoles (Bacillotex® etc.) or 70% alcohol, 0.5% chlorohexidine or hydrogen peroxide.
If hepatitis or any other dangerous virus contamination is suspected: Aldehydes (Cidex®, Korsolin®) or chlorinates (Diversol BX®).
- Be careful not to drip water or disinfectant directly into the input and output plugs and other openings in the cover. Remove excess disinfectant with a dry cloth.
- Do not use solvent silicon-based or abrasive cleaning agents. Make sure that no liquids enter the devices at push buttons or other openings in the enclosure.
- Before using disinfectants other than those specified, please contact MagVenture Inc. for further information.
- Especially for coils and coil cooler: After use, you can clean the coil with a cloth and normal dishwashing solutions and then disinfect it with propyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol.
MagVenture realizes that the reccomended cleaning agents to disinfect the device and chair as per the user guide may not be available. If access to these cleaning products are not an option then defer to the CDC reccomended guidelines on How to Clean and Disinfect Surfaces.
Neurostar Advanced Therapy
Cleaning and Disinfecting
With the power off and the system unplugged from the wall receptacle, use a damp cloth to wipe away dust or dirt on the mobile console, the power cable, the signal cable, the halo, the gantry, and the mast.
Clean the surface of the treatment coil by wiping it with an isopropyl alcohol prep pad.
Keep all cleaning fluids or damp sponges away from the SenStar Connect Treatment Link and the SenStar electrical connector on the treatment coil.
Clean the surface of the reusable cushions by wiping it with a damp sponge and/or by blotting with a clean cloth, using a water-based cleaning product or mild soap and water.
Only the following cleaning agents should be used to clean the treatment chair, mobile console, and display housing:
- 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Arquad (a Quaternary Ammonium Chloride)
- Professional Lysol Disinfectant Spray
Do NOT use any cleaner or damp cloth on the SenStar Connect Treatment Link; it is not meant to be cleaned.
Do NOT use bleach as a cleaner as it will discolor the fabric or paint.
Do NOT use any cleaner with higher than 70% alcohol content as it will smear the logos or labels on the housings.
Do NOT use any type of solvent or lubricant on the component parts.
Do NOT use acetone to clean any part of the system.
Do NOT attempt to sterilize any part of the system.
Use a damp cloth to clean the display. Do NOT use glass cleaner, cleanser, or any abrasive substance.
Failure to follow these procedures may result in damage to the device or may cause undue risk to the patient or operator.
Cleaning and disinfecting
After each session, wipe all system component surfaces that have been in contact with a patient or operator with a clean cloth moistened with a commercially available water-based cleaning agent or mild soap and water and allow to air dry. Never immerse any system component in liquid or apply cleaner directly to the component.
- Do not use abrasive, corrosive cleaning agents or solvents.
- Do not use disinfectants that contain ketones (such as acetone) or halogens (such as chlorine).
- Do not use base materials (pH > 9), such as ammonia solutions, diluted.
Cleaning the tracking system
Cleaning of the tracking system should be kept to the minimum, and only be done when it is obviously dirty or dusty. Cleaning should be done very carefully due to the sensitivity of the system. Never touch a lens with anything except the cleaning materials mentioned here.
Do not use alcohol, thinners, or other chemical solvents to clean the tracking system. They maydamage the finish or remove the panel lettering.
Do not use aerosol sprays near the tracking system as the sprays may damage circuitry.
Do not use any paper products or fluids like water, soap, or detergent on the tracking system lens.
Always dust the tracking system lens as much as possible before cleaning. Particles trapped under a cleaning tissue may scratch the lens.
- Unplug the power cable from the camera before cleaning.
- Remove dust from each illuminator filter and lens, using a photographic lens duster (brush). Gently wipe the surface in one direction only, by pulling the brush across the surface.
- Gently wipe the illuminator filters and lenses with disinfectant wipes containing 70% isopropanol. Continue cleaning the remainder of the tracking unit, taking care not to wipe debris from the tracking unit case onto the illuminator filters or lenses. Avoid prolonged contact between the wipes and the tracking unit.
- Clean the illuminator filters and lenses, using a commercial lens cleaning solution formulated for multi-coated lenses and a clean knitted microfiber optical cleaning cloth. Avoid prolonged contact between the lens cleaner and the illuminator filters and lenses.
*All information provided above came directly from the device manufacture. If a device is not listed above, we have not received the cleaning instructions from that specific manufacture.